Where Do Your Funds Go?
By adopting a dolphin with Dolphin Research Australia Inc. you will be helping to conserve and protect dolphins and their marine environment into the future. Your funds will go directly towards helping us continue our research and education programs. More specifically:
- Increasing the understanding of dolphin ecology and their needs for survival by continuing passive and non-invasive research on wild dolphins.
- Assessing the impacts of human activities and developing ways to minimise the negative impacts from these activities to protect and conserve dolphins and their environment.
- Increasing public awareness and knowledge about dolphins, their habitat and how to protect them from harm.
- Helping to reduce marine debris and pollution
- Assisting National Parks to rescue and rehabilitate stranded or distressed dolphins
We greatly appreciate your support in helping us to protect these incredible animals and their environment into the future.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I visit the dolphin I adopted?
As they are wild dolphin their exact location on a daily basis is unknown. From our research we know that the community of dolphins in Byron Bay uses the bay on a daily basis and there is good chance to see them from the Cape Byron Lighthouse. If you feel more adventurous, you can also go out on a kayak trip with on of our longstanding sponsors, GoSea Kayaks.
In Moreton Bay the best way to visit these communities is to become an Eco-volunteer and join one of our research expeditions. You can also visit one of the neighboring populations and have a great dolphin watching experience at the Point Lookout Gorge on North Stradbroke Island.
2. Am I the only person adopting the dolphin?
As these are some of the dolphins we have got to know over the years of our research they have been selected as ambassadors of their kind and wild dolphin community. Many people can become a guardian of each dolphin.
3. How often will I receive updates on the adopted dolphin?
You will receive 4 enewsletters a year. These will have updates on the communities of the dolphins after our annual field research surveys. You can also follow our Facebook page where we post regular updates from the field with our Dolphin Dairies. Our Dolphin Diaries include stories from the communities of dolphins we are researching.
4. Where does my money go to?
Your donation will help us to continue our research and education programs. For example, we have used some funds raised through our adoption program to buy necessary equipment for the field and fuel for our boat.
5. Can I adopt a dolphin in another person's name?
Yes, these adoptions make perfect gifts. If you would like the adoption to be for someone else select "yes" under the question "Is this a gift?" after you entered your details in the adoption form. You will then be given the opportunity of providing the details of the gift recipient.
6. Can the adoption pack be shipped overseas?
Yes we can post worldwide.