2020 Moreton Bay Dolphin Research Expeditions
We are pleased to announce that we have eco-volunteer opportunities available for participants to join our Moreton Bay Dolphin Research Expeditions in 2020. We have 4 day and 8 day eco-volunteer
expeditions available between May and July 2020. The project offers a unique learning experience for those passionate about dolphins and the marine environment
who want to contribute to increasing knowledge, awareness and improving conservation efforts while supporting the research efforts.
The research project focuses on Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins and Australian humpback dolphins and aims to assess and monitor the abundance and health of these populations in the Moreton Bay Marine Park and South East Queensland region. Participants have the opportunity to join the research team and have a hands-on and participatory experience working from small research vessels whilst being based at the University of Queensland Moreton Bay Research Station on the beautiful North Stradbroke Island located near Brisbane, Australia. Participants will assist in collecting data on the behaviour, acoustics and habitat use of coastal dolphins.
No previous experience is required and all training will be provided to participants. Participants, however, do need to have the following;
- An enthusiastic and positive attitude
- Willingness to learn and work with a small team
- General interest in dolphin biology and ecology
- Be able to work long-hours on a small vessel (not susceptible to chronic sea sickness)
- Ability to communicate fluently in English (both written and oral)
- Good fitness level (the work requires agility to work on small vessels and participants will be required to regularly get on and off small boats, move around the vessel whilst underway and at times in choppy conditions)
To find out more about the expeditions and dates for this year head to https://www.dolphinresearchaustralia.org/dolphin-sighting-network/dolphin-expeditions/